Friday, January 10, 2014

Idyllwild 2014 — Day 3, only two days of films left

by Nancy Borchers
 
            Thursday was another glorious day at the Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema.  We started out at Astrocamp where we were delighted to see a really cute short “Light Me Up” with directors Ryan Walton and Derek Dolechek from Chapman College. This film showed imagination and promise for the directors.
            “Night Riders” was a real step up.  Two actors, incredible lighting and cinematography carried this entire film capturing the rapt attention and wild acclaim of the audience. The film was not listed in the synopsis so I have no Idea who directed it but this was brilliant. It only showed once at my least favorite venue which was a great disservice to this remarkable film. 
            The eerie glow of the dashboard lights of a pickup truck lit the faces of two brothers carrying the body of their father home from a farm accident. The conversation of the two with the normal gaps for thought brought realism. The dialog seemed desultory at first but evolved to reveal the depth of character of the brothers, their relationship and the circle of family of which they seemed to be the last. I cannot say enough good things about this film. It was only eleven minutes long but carried the punch of a feature. You might think I liked it.
            The director, Freeland Shreve, of “Tag” is so likable and funny you wonder how he could have made such a tragic film. The humor and great cinematography belied the disastrous but inevitable conclusion of this film.
            I got to see a brief glimpse of “The O’Brien's” at its last showing and was eagerly looking forward to seeing it in its entirety. I was not disappointed. I just loved it. This very professional film showed not only great acting, but cinematography, dialog, sound and score. I really could have watched it all over again right then and there. It was an hour and twenty-four minutes but it seemed like it was over too soon. No one left after the showing because cast and crew along with the director Richard Waters were there to host the Question and Answer session, which follow.  I want to see more!!
            We went to see “Counterpunch” from director Kenneth Castillo at the Rustic.  I’m not fond of boxing and seeing child abuse upset me since I saw way more than enough during my teaching career. Any child abuse is way more than enough. I went to the lobby to chat with old friends and new friends. Margie told me later that I missed a very good film. I got to talk with the folks from “The O’Brien’s”, which was delightful.
            Off to Silver Pines to see “2FUR1” directed by Jahnna Randell, a mockumentary that pokes fun at Hollywood. It incorporated great humor and cinematography. The sound track was good too.  Light hearted fun.
            The last film I saw Thursday was “Forev” from directors Molly Green and James Leffler. This film was natural, dumb, outlandish, and totally believable. I loved it. 
            Cinematography, sound, dialog and acting were all very professional and seamless. These directors have a very bright future in front of them. There was just enough tension to hold it together and keep it from being trite. The character development had just the right depth. I was very impressed. This is the kind of film I would rush out and see any time.
            After three days of non-stop film going, I was tired. I needed to go home and put my feet up. I looked at the schedules for the next two days and decided that I could play catch up Friday and Saturday. Two of my fellow film goers have already taken a day off so today it was only Margie and me. Tuesday was a totally full day with barely time for lunch and dinner. I didn’t get home until ten. Wednesday I had an eight o’clock meeting in the morning so I got off to a really early start and went full bore all day getting home again about ten.  Ok, this makes thirty-four films I’ve seen so far this year. It beats my past record of twenty-five for the whole festival, hands down. 
            No wonder I’m tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment