Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Idyllwild 2014 — pre-Festival planning

 by Nancy Borchers


            The Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema starts today, January 7, 2014.  I am so looking forward to this year’s Festival. I enjoyed last year’s films so much that I got some of the DVDs so I could enjoy these films again and again. 

            Deciding which ones this year will be ”must see” will be more difficult. There are fewer films but after reading Marshall Smith’s synopses of each one I know I will have a hard time deciding. The description of each film is so clear and concise. I’m getting together with two of my fellow film-goers to decide our schedule. The articles by Marshall, J.P. Crumrine, Neill Bell, Steve Savage and Jay Pentrack will be helpful. 

            Last year I got to see twenty-five films and a friend saw twenty-seven so I know we can’t see them all. We will have to confer and choose wisely.

            Steve Savage has worked long and hard putting this Festival together. I am so glad for his oversight. He is so passionate about his creation. He started this Festival five years ago and has continued to build success on success to bring Idyllwild this fabulous event. 

             Last year, Phil Calderone was instrumental in the success of the Festival; but this year, he and his wife, Barbara, are busy with the Rustic Theater. They are both so gracious in hosting the bulk of the films at the Rustic, a warm and comfortable venue. 

            The Calderones have made lot of changes to the theater to make it even more comfortable. I wonder if they will have those great cheese plates available like they did on New Year’s Eve.   

            A new venue this year is The Silver Pines Lodge, which Chris Singer is hosting.  I’ve been to many gatherings and visual presentations there in the past and am looking forward to this delightful Lodge being a cozy place to view films. This building was the original Rustic Theater in the 1940s so thanks to Chris Singer it will revert to its historical use for a while. 

            I’m delighted to hear that Sky Island will be maintaining a snack bar there. I always am looking out for a snack, coffee or lunch so this will be a real help. 

            Astrocamp is the third venue and the theater there is a great place. Last year the ice was really tricky on the path from the parking lot but we don’t have to worry about that this year.
            I rushed home from a Christmas vacation in Tennessee to go to the Rustic’s New Year’ Eve presentation and to get ready for this Festival. The town looks so festive with the “Winter Lights” decorations in the shop fronts. 

            The Guide in this week’s Town Crier is full of information about the films. The ads for lodging and dining interspersed through announcements of the films. The map of the venues on page 5 will be very helpful for visitors.

            The way this Festival has improved each year bodes well for all of us. This year will be the best ever. The Idyllwild International Festival of Cinema is such an asset to Idyllwild, a town known for its variety and support of the arts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment