Saturday, January 11, 2014

IIFC 2014: Friday's films

by Nancy Borchers





            On the fourth day of Idyllwild 2014, we started with the shorts at the Rustic Theater. “Winds and Strings” was a short, well-made film with a predictable plot that everyone has experienced in one way or another. Not just “loved and lost” but made decisions that don’t turn out as well as desired. The actual piece, photography, sound, etc. was ok.
            “Black Dahlia Ballet” was a fascinating art piece. The color palette and score were both masterful. As a film with a plot, it was confusing; but as a work of art it was wonderful.
            “Steve’s Problem” with director, producer, writer Mike Lars White was the funniest film I’ve seen in years. I have nothing to compare it with in all the years I’ve enjoyed films. What a wild imagination, he has. Just when you think it will end and that it has been just great, Mike comes up with another idea and another and another and then he finally ties it all together. What a wild ride!! I love he just follows the extrapolations. He has a great future.
            “The 25,000 Mile Love Affair” was thought provoking in that it is nice to do what you love for a good cause. I really don’t understand masochism even when it is for a good cause. What was the “love”: For each other, the children, the journey, the physical challenges? The film was engrossing and the end result was an interesting, watchable film.
            We finished the morning with ”Masque.” I really dislike evil for evil’s sake.  Or evil for personal gain or power. I loved the scenery and the mill’s buildings. I love architecture so my view of films is really slanted when I see beautiful buildings or sets. I would have thought the idea of the masque weird if I hadn’t had experience with Silicone bandages for scar healing. As it was it seemed normal with the added bonus of character redemption. Slap that masque on the villain and maybe he will have rebirth. Great scenery and photography.
            I’m looking forward to the last day.  There are always so many interesting people in town, especially for the awards ceremony. So far I’ve been able to talk with some of the directors and actors and I hope to chat with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment